If you thought you knew everything there was to know about Forklift Trucks, then here are 5 facts that you might have missed!
- Forklifts have been around for over a century and were used prior to lifting pallets. The Pennsylvania Railroad invented the first battery-powered truck in 1906 however the modern forklift wasn’t around until Towmotor Company and Yale & Towne Manufacturing joined the industry in 1919. The original Forklifts were used to move luggage and not pallets.
- Forklift trucks have been stolen in the past to steal ATM machines. Criminals have been known make the humble forklift the weapon of choice when it comes to criminal activity.
- There are forklifts that have been designed specifically for rough terrain. Operating a forklift on outdoor terrain is incredibly different to operating a forklift in a warehouse and so there are forklifts that are specifically designed to deal with uneven and challenging surfaces. There are Vertical Mast, Variable Reach, and Truck/Trailer Mounted.
- The battery for a Forklift is designed to last for approximately 8 hours. It will also take around the same amount of time to recharge the battery.
- Forklift accidents don’t happen as often as you might think. Only 1% of accidents in warehouses are caused by forklift trucks, however 10% of all physical injuries are caused by improper operating of forklifts in warehouses and factories.
If you require Forklift Training or you’re any employer looking to put staff members through either novice or refresher courses then Forklift Agency can help. Call us on 0330 330 9495 or complete the form below and we’ll be in touch as soon as we can.
[contact-form-7 id=”64″ title=”Contact form 1″]