Every year there thousands of accidents that involve forklift trucks in the workplace, the good news is that the number is reducing annually but many of the incidents are avoidable if staff have the right training and machines are in good, working order.
Many of the incidents are not serious but at the other end of the scale, 85 people per year die in these incidents although this is reducing year on year. Still, even one fatality is one too many and more needs to be done my both employers and employees to ensure that workplaces are as safe as possible.
Once a business has the required machinery, the next, and most important step, is to ensure that the workforce is adequately trained and understand that regular safety checks are carried out on the machinery.
The right training can ensure that workplace staff fully understand the risks that operating machinery poses as well as how the risks can be minimised. Training alone is not enough to keep individuals safe, regular safety checks of the machinery are absolutely essential and should be carried out on a regular basis to ensure they are fit for purpose and are ok to be driven.
Safety tips should be offered to all drivers but here we list those tips that you can pass on to your staff.
- All staff and machine operators should receive full and adequate training.
- The appropriate footwear and clothing should be worn.
- Only the right machinery and trucks for the given workspace should be used.
- All machinery should you regularly services, examined and maintained.
- Operating restrictions such as speed etc should be enforced and followed.
- Drivers should be aware of their surroundings and have excellent visibility at all times.
- Loads should never be exceeded and kept safe and secure at all times.
- Pedestrians should avoid walking or being in operating parameters of the forklift forks.
- When a forklift is parked, it should always have the key removed and never left unattended with the engine running.
As mentioned previously, it is imperative that the right training is offered to employees and that is where Forklift Agency can help. We offer training to both employers and individuals nationwide, we have highly experienced trainers who don’t charge for travel costs and will run the training at a time and place to suit you. If you’re interested, give the team a call on 0330 330 9425 or complete the form below and we’ll be in touch as soon as we can.